Which Protein Powder Should You Use?
Here Are Some Facts You Need To Know:
- Protein Powders are not all created equal. There differences range from brand to brand spanning from quality, to usage and much more.
- Doing your homework about what your buying and know what your goals are will save you tons of cash.
- Nutrition is still priority over supplements and will reap the most dramatic changes if done right.
- Whether your goal is fat loss of building muscle, choosing the right protein powders can get you to your goals faster and easier.
The world of protein powders is terribly confusing and not regulated, this often times leads cheap quality supplements to hit the market. To get results in the gym proper supplementation is important and is something we cover with all clients
This article is going to layout some pros and cons of both whey protein and hemp protein and who should use them.
#1 Whey Protein Powder
A very common and very fast digestive milk protein that accounts for about 20% of total milk protein.
Its been a staple in the supplement market for many decades and is a proven protein source that is great for the post workout period. However, with new formulas and brands coming into the market it can get confusing.
I’ll lay out the three specific types that you should be aware of. Keep in mind that the difference between them is the percentage of protein they contain.
- Whey Protein Concentrate: about 80% protein the other 20% consists of fat, minerals and lactose. This whey protein is a little less pure and will contant some fats and carbohydrates.
- Whey Protein Isolate: A very pure form of whey protein consists of approx. 90-95% protein. Very little fat. Slightly lower calorie option little to no lactose in it.
- Hydrolyzed Whey Protein: Roughly 80-90% protein content, the benefit of a hydrolyzed whey is in it ability to digest easier due to the long protein chains being broken down into peptides.
- Very fast digestive (all three compared to other protein powders)
- High in Leucine (key activator for muscle protein synthesis and enhances mTOR signaling)
- High in EAA’s (essential amino acids)
- Increases insulin sensitivity which is essential for building muscle and staying lean.
- If you have a milk allergy it may not be for you.
- Can cause bloating with people who don’t take dairy products well (or other gastric distress problems)
- Does not have
Best Time To Use Them Practice:
- Use before AND after workouts for enhancing recovery and maximizing muscle protein synthesis.
- Opt for grass fed studies show that grass fed milk proteins has more beneficial fatty acids compared to commercially raised cows.
#2 Hemp Protein Powder
Hemp protein powders are made from varieties cannabis that has very small amounts of THC. Specifically the seed of the hemp plant are what the protein powders are made of.
This is a great non animal protein option however, it does have a higher carbohydrate content so if your trying to keep your carbohydrate intake low this may not be a good option.
Besides that for overall health hemp protein is a winner due to a higher fiber content and balanced omega 3 and omega 6 profile. You still need to take your fish oil and eat other healthy fats however, this is a nice compliment to your diet.
Here are some of the biggest benefits from a health and fitness perspective.
- Complete amino acid profile
- Contains a high amount healthy omega fatty acids
- The growing of hemp plants does not require a lot of pesticides so its easy to grow it organically. Making it a bit safer than other plant protein powders like soy.
- No cholesterol
- High in Fiber
- 0 saturated fat
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Loaded with minerals
- Easy to digest
- Better tasting protein compared to others
- Higher in carbs
- Slower digestive due to higher fiber content so not great a pre workout meal inside 1 hr.
- Standard servings of Hemp Protein have less protein compared to whey, casein, beef or egg
Hemp is worth the money if your looking for a more complete meal replacement type protein powder from an plant source.
Due to its high amount of healthy fatty acids, complete amino acid profile great
flavor and fiber content. Its my top plant protein powder pick!
Its not cheap however and is something to consider when buying protein. Generally what you pay for is what you get for protein powders so be sure to due your research and buy a brand you can believe in.
For someone looking for just optimal health and no too worried about build muscle maximally this is a great option.
Both whey and hemp has their benefits to compliment and assist different health and fitness goals. Of course supplements are only a small fraction of the game, effective nutrition and training are far more impact full towards achieving longevity and optimal body composition (muscle building and fat loss).
To get a free NutriFit analysis to simplify your nutrition and take your body to the next level. Be sure to contact us HERE